Shou Sugi Ban is a product by Zwarthout | Shou Sugi Ban, only produced on order. Soon it will be available in some standards. 3, 4, 5 meter, and 15 cm wide.
It is used for cladding, fences and interior.
In consultation, we with we can deliver in some woodspecies. It is thereby essential to choose the right profile. Every technique has its own possibilities and limitations.
The traditional shou-sugi-ban (type Naoshima) is deeply burned and requires specific detailing to increase weathering influences. Strong wind combined with hail or shower will damage the coal skin in the end. This might occur specifically above 10meter and in open terrain. It doesn’t occur at streetlevel. In that situation it is maintenance free.
To satisfy specific demands we enlarged the technique, whereby the coal is brushed and treated with organic oil, which makes it free of stain and provides it against weathering.
It gets a clean and expressive skin. Retreatment is advised every 3 years. It gives a clearly different but strong result. have a lok at Sakaide, Takamatsu of Shodoshima. Naoshima can be treated with oil also; it gets more durable and doesn’t spot anymore. It’s called Tonosho
We now have the following typen in production.
- Naoshima, plain sawn, charred
- Tonosho, plain sawn, charred, fixated
- Sakaide, plain sawn, charred lightly, brushed, oiled
- Shodoshima, plain sawn, deeply charred , brushed, stained
- Takamatsu, quarter sawn, charred , brushed, stained
- Ayagawa, oak charred fixated
- Marugame, Accoya, charred fixated
- Sanuki, oak panel, charred, fixated